I love it when I can make restaurant-style food right at home! This recipe was inspired by P.F. Chang’s China Bistro Chicken Lettuce Wraps. My husband and I loved to eat there when we lived in Michigan. It was right across the street from our church so we would head over there after church sometimes (before we had kiddos). This dish is a gluten-free version that revs up my tastebuds like our old favorite.
These lettuce wraps are quick and easy to make. They are loaded with flavor and have a nice cool crunch that compliments the subtle spiciness. Traditionally, these are served with iceberg lettuce leaves but I like to use Romaine lettuce for the added nutrition. Did you know that Romaine lettuce has protein, minerals, and is rich in vitamins like calcium, vitamin A, omega-3s, iron, B-vitamins, and vitamin K? (Learn more about the benefits of Romaine Lettuce.) My husband and I love to make these for our Funnite on Thursdays. This dish is gluten-free, dairy-free, low-carb, and DELICIOUS! enJOY!
GF Asian Lettuce Wraps (Printable Recipe)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp gluten-free soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
8 large lettuce leaves (I like romaine)
Sweet and Spicy sauce for topping (optional):
1 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
1/2 tsp chili flakes (more if you like it spicy)
1 Tbsp gluten-free soy sauce
- In a large wok or skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring until lightly browned and tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add ground turkey. Cook and break into pieces until no longer pink.
- Add cilantro, scallions, fish sauce, soy sauce, and chili flakes, and cook stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Fill each lettuce leaf with meat mixture. Top with sweet and spicy sauce if desired.