When we lived in Michigan, we had a home-based charity bakery called “HeavenScent Manna” (HSM). It was my heart’s desire to touch the lives of women who were hurting. I wanted them to feel special and loved even when they felt like no one cared. So my friend Christine and I baked three different types of baked goods to feed 30+ people every week. And each week, as a family we would deliver homemade, wholesome baked goods to the local women’s and children’s shelter downtown.
I remember the first time we delivered our big batch of baked goods, we met one of the residents. She wrote us a “Thank You” note telling us how special she felt. My heart was so filled to know that our act of obedience touched someone’s life. God is faithful.
During those years of baking, we modified recipes and tried to make things as wholesome as possible using quality ingredients. From our experimenting adventures came our HSM Cranberry White Chocolate Cookie recipe. This cookie recipe was a favorite at the women’s shelter (and our home too)! So when we started our gluten-free lifestyle I knew I had to figure out how to make these cookies into gluten-free cookies.
These cookies are moist and chewy. They are made of a mix of oats and my DIY Protein flour blend for added protein. Every bite has a bit of sweetness and tanginess from the mix of white chocolate and cranberries. Did you know cranberries are packed with vitamin C and disease fighting antioxidants? (Learn more). Try making these with unsweetened dried cranberries for added health benefits. Sit back and enjoy these cookies with a glass of milk or a cup of tea. enJOY!
HSM GF White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies (Printable Version)
2 cups gluten-free or regular old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup Tisha’s GF Protein Flour Blend (see below) or a GF blend of choice
1/2 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup melted butter (or use melted coconut oil, grapeseed oil)
1/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening (I use Spectrum)
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup dried cranberries (you can try unsweetened for less sugar, more tangy!)
3/4 cup white chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater (or you an use a hand mixer), combine flour, oats, xanthan/guar gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coconut sugar.
- Add the oil, shortening, eggs, and vanilla to the bowl and mix thoroughly for 1-2 minutes on medium speed. Stop and scrape down sides after 1 minute. The dough should be sticky and thick. If it is too sticky, add a Tbsp of GF flour.
- Add cranberries and white chocolate chips and mix on low/stir speed to combine. Scrape down the sides to combine.
- Using a cookie scooper or a tablespoon, drop rounded scoops of dough onto prepared sheets. Press down slightly to flatten dough.
- Bake on center rack in preheated oven for 11-13 minutes or until the edges are golden and beginning to firm.
- Remove from oven and let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes before transferring on to wire racks.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Tisha’s Gluten-Free Protein Flour Blend
1/3 cup Tisha’s GF All purpose flour blend
1/3 cup oat flour
1/3 cup almond flour (meal or blanched)