Today, we are celebrating my son’s 9th birthday! My house smells like the essence of fresh spring as we bake our family favorite gluten-free blueberry lemon mammoth muffins. These muffins are chock-full of jumbo blueberries that are rich in antioxidants and laced with fresh lemon zest and Young Living Lemon Vitality essential oil that is rich in antioxidant, limonene.
When you bite into these muffins, the sweetness comes from the fresh blueberries that are bursting in your mouth mixed with a little added tang from the lemons. I sprinkle the tops with a little raw sugar that caramelizes and forms a nice crust with a little sparkle. My kids and hubby LOVE these muffins and I try to save them for special occasions. But after today, I think my kids have talked me into making these a bi-weekly special for the spring and summer months.
As we celebrate the life of our fourth child, I reflect on the miracle of life. There was a chance our son would not even be here today and we have been blessed to celebrate nine years of his life (Our Little Miracle). We are so thankful to God for our little Miracle. Happy Birthday, Keon. I love you with all my heart. Thank you for listening to my tears fall when you were just a baby and for filling everyday of my life with LOVE and LAUGHTER!
Gluten-Free Blueberry Lemon Mammoth Muffins
These mammoth blueberry lemon muffins are chock full of fresh blueberries laced with the tang of fresh lemons. The caramelized sugar on top forms a nice crust while the inside has a moist crumble. This is a family favorite! Recipe Makes 7 mammoth muffins.
-3 cups gluten-free flour blend, sifted (I used Tisha’s all-purpose or protein blend)
-4 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp xanthan gum
-1/2 tsp salt
-2 eggs (substitute flaxseed mixture or egg replacement for vegan option)
-3/4 cup raw or organic sugar
-1 cup almond milk (or regular milk) mixed with 1 tsp lemon juice and sit for 5 minutes
-1/2 cup oil (grapeseed, or melted vegan butter)
-1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-2 cups fresh blueberries (you can use frozen but it is so much better with fresh blueberries)
-1 Tbsp lemon zest
-10 drops Young Living Lemon Vitality essential oil
-raw sugar for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 425F degrees. (NOTE: Temperature adjusts to 375F degrees after the initial 5 minutes). Spray jumbo muffin pans with non-stick spray or line with jumbo liners and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum. Mix until combined.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until well combined. Mix in oil, vanilla, milk, zest, and lemon vitality essential oil. Mix well.
4. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until everything is mixed together and all the flour is off the bottom of the bowl with no big flour pockets remaining. Avoid overmixing. The batter will be thick and clumpy. Next, gently fold in blueberries.
5. Scoop batter into pans with a ice cream scooper until it is filled just slightly above the rim. Top with raw sugar. Bake at 425F degrees for 5 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 375F degrees and continue baking for 23-26 minutes until lightly golden and a toothpick or knife comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minute in the pan before removing.
6. Muffins taste best the same day. Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Prioritize your health.
For daily support, join my JOYFull Oily Family on Facebook for wellness tips, videos, and natural wellness support.
JOYfull Inspirations is NOT a non-profit organization. Your donations are an opportunity to support our family, our mission, and our continued services to the others.
Like our FB page at https://www.facebook.com/JOYFullInspirations/ and share with friends.
Blessings and JOY,
Wife, Mom, and Certified Clinical Aromatherapist.