I LOVE Mediterranean food. I have missed eating one of my favorite appetizers until now. I made this falafel recipe one night for our date night and my husband was hooked. I made it the next day for my kids and they were hooked. I love the layers of flavors in these garbanzo bean based bits of goodness. Pair it with my homemade tzatziki sauce for yummy Mediterranean experience.
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup water
Oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Add wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan or wok, heat oil on medium-high heat. Use enough oil for the falafel to cook without touching the bottom of the pan.
- Using a ice cream scooper, fill 1/2 of the scooper with batter and release into the hot oil. The falafel will float. Continue to add 1-2 scoops of batter to hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Be sure to flip the falafel when you see the sides begin to turn golden in color.
- Remove from oil and place on napkins to soak up extra oil.
- Cool slightly. Serve hot with tzatziki sauce.
T-Tip: You can prepare the dry ingredients ahead of time and just add the wet when you are ready to cook.