Bananas are always welcome in our home. But when I freeze them and cover them with chocolate, my kids scream for ice cream! This recipe is simple and it is a fun way to get kids helping in the kitchen. The simple steps allow kids to feel confident in their culinary skills! What I love about this recipe is the frozen bananas. They are a frozen, creamy, sweet treat that I don’t have to feel guilty eating or giving to my kids. You can even use unsweetened chocolate if you want to cut out the sugar. enJOY!
Frozen Banana Treats
4 firm bananas
1 10 oz bag of bittersweet all-natural chocolate chips (or 3-4oz blocks of unsweetened chocolate chunks)
1 Tbsp coconut oil or non-hydrogenated shortening
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
8 popsicles sticks
Toppings of choice (optional):
chocolate candy pieces
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel bananas and cut in half.
- Carefully insert popsicle sticks on the wide end of the banana.
- Place bananas on baking sheet and place in freezer for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- In a double boiler (see my tip for a homemade double boiler), melt chocolate and coconut oil/shortening on medium-low heat. Mix gently but consistently. Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Remove bananas from freezer.
- Keep the chocolate over the double boiler while you dip the bananas in the chocolate. Since the bananas are very cold and the chocolate is warm, dip the bananas quickly to avoid cooling the chocolate and causing it to clump. If necessary, mix the chocolate with a whisk after each banana to keep it warm and smooth.
- Add toppings (optional) right after dipping before the chocolate sets.
- Serve immediately or freeze.
T-Tip: For a homemade double boiler, fill a 4 to 8 quart pan halfway with water. Place a glass bowl over the top of a pan so the steam from boiling heats up the bottom of the bowl. Place chocolate in bowl and melt, stirring constantly to avoid overheating.
T-Time Saver: I like to peel and freeze the bananas the night before. Then it only takes a few minutes to melt the chocolate and dip!