My husband loves Jambalaya. We all know it is his birthday week when I cook up this dish. But the family enjoys it so much I have now made it a family favorite. This is a untraditional version of Jambalaya. While my husband loves Jambalaya, he doesn’t like shrimp. So this is a shrimpless version with some added vegetables and herbs and a little kick even my 3 year-old loves. enJOY!
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
1 pound smoked sausage, halved and cut into pieces (I use all-natural nitrate/nitrite free sausage)
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup green peppers, diced
1/2 cup red peppers, diced
3 stalks of celery, sliced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp garlic powder, divided
1/4 tsp black pepper, divided
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp parsley flakes
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp hot sauce
1 can all-natural crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 3/4 cups all-natural chicken broth
1 Tbsp olive oil
- In a large pot (I use a Dutch oven), heat oil on medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add green and red peppers and cook and additional 3 minutes or until tender. Add minced garlic and cook another 1 minute.
- Add chicken and 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp black pepper. Cook chicken and vegetables until chicken is longer pink.
- Add sausage and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, hot sauce, herbs, and remainder of seasonings. Stir.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.
T-Tip: This is a great recipe to prepare and freeze. Use one portion for now, and freeze a batch for later.
T-Tip: Cook up a double batch of rice for a double batch of this recipe then freeze the in separate bags for a ready-made freezer meal.
T-Time Saver: Chop a big batch of onions at once and store them in small freezer bags in the freezer. That way when you need onions for a recipe, you don’t have to chop them every single time. Just grab it out of the freezer and add directly to your recipes!