My mom made us “Turkey, Peas, and Rice” when she came to visit us last summer (2015) when our 6th blessing was born. Everyone LOVED it so much, they kept requesting it over and over again. Since she doesn’t use recipes, I created a version of her recipe that includes a homemade Adobo seasoning, which is blend we used as a base-seasoning growing up. This recipe cooks up easily in one pot. It is simple yet tasty. enJOY!
Nana's Turkey, Peas, and Rice
1 lb ground turkey
1 1/2 cup green peas
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 1/4 tsp Adobo seasoning (see below)
1 Tbsp tomatoe paste
3/4 cup of water
1 Tbsp oil
- In a large pot (I use a Dutch oven), heat oil on medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add minced garlic and celery and cook and additional 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add ground meat and Adobo seasoning. Cook and break into pieces until no longer pink.
- Add tomato paste and water. Stir until incorporated.
- Add green peas and simmer on medium heat covered for 10-15 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Serve over cooked rice.
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic
1 1/4 tsp salt
T-Tip: This is a great recipe to prepare and freeze. Use one portion for now, and freeze a batch for later.
T-Time Saver: Chop a big batch of onions at once and store them in small freezer bags in the freezer. That way when you need onions for a recipe, you don’t have to chop them every single time. Just grab it out of the freezer and add directly to your recipes!