All Natural Peppermint Bark
- 1 11oz bag of Ghirardelli white chips
- 1 Box organic or all natural candy canes (about 10-11)
- 1 Tbsp organic shortening (I use Spectrum non-hydrogenated shortening)
- 2 ½ tsp peppermint extract
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place candy canes in a gallon ziplock bag. Using the heavy end of a butter knife or a rolling pin, crush candy canes in to very small pieces.
- In a double-boiler* set on medium heat, melt white chips and shortening stirring with a spatula until smooth.
- Once chips are completely melted and smooth, remove pot from stove.
- While still over the boiler pot, mix in crushed candy canes and peppermint extract and mix until completely incorporated.
- Pour mixture onto the lined baking sheet and spread about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick (I like it on the thin side).
- Cool completely either at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Once hardened, break into pieces. Store in a sealed container.
*T-Tip: If you don’t have a double-boiler, you can place a glass bowl over a pot of water. It works great in my kitchen.
T-Time Saver: You can also use a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave at 50% power in 30 second intervals mixing after each interval until melted and smooth.