The other day I stopped to live in the moment. My 4-year old managed to make a ninja costume using layers of clothes, a glow stick for nunchucks, and a Hello Kitty pull-up on her head. She ran across my bedroom floor aiming her glow stick in front of her as she attacked her imaginary opponent. I rolled over in laughter with tears running down my face as she continued to act out a ninja scene. This was a moment of healing.
As I reflected on my emotions just prior to that moment, I was “joyfully” pressing through another event-filled day living as a “single mom” of six. Over the last month my husband has taken on long hours in his role at work leaving minimal time for family. But in that moment when I saw my little girl, and I started laughing hysterically, the whole room lit up. My husband took a second to glance away from his computer screen to take in the moment. My older daughter started laughing and sharing some of the other funny things my little girl does before bed. I felt an immediate release of tension, a sense of peace, a shift to gratitude in my circumstances, and an openness to embrace the joy of the moment that drew me closer to my family.
Health Benefits of Laughter
What is the funniest movie you have seen? Do you have friend who always makes you laugh? When you are around things that make you laugh, do you notice you are happier, you are less stressed, you have more energy, and you experience more joy? Laughter is a natural medicine. Yes, it is true. Best of all, it is free. No pharmacy. No capsules. No side effects (except what happens from laughing so hard).
So what are some of the therapeutic benefits of laughter? Laughter benefits the physical body, mental health, and social connections. Laughter:
- Relaxes the whole body
- Boosts the immune system
- Triggers the release of endorphins
- Protects the heart
- Burns calories
- Decreases pain
- Adds JOY (my favorite!) and excitement to life
- Strengthens resilience
- Strenthens relationshps
- Helps diffuse conflict
- Can help you forgive sooner (Freedom in Forgiveness)
Incorporate Some Laughter Into Your Daily Life
What are some simple ways you can incorporate laughter into your daily life? Here are a few ideas to get the ball rolling:
- Live in the present – stop and take in the present moments that warrant a belly laugh. What is around you every day that you have skipped over in the past because you were too busy to stop for a moment to laugh? Stop for a moment and laugh at the silly, funny things you see and hear around you.
- Ditch the drama – instead of flipping on your favorite drama series, switch to a comedy. Play your favorite scene over and over again until you are sick of it. Be a kid again!
- Play – As adults, we are known to take life too seriously. We feel like as the adults we are not allowed to play. I challenge you to do something that is fun, exciting, and FUNNY! Grab some friends and sing karaoke, make a video about your most embarrassing moments and post it on Facebook for your friends to enjoy, or dance in the middle of your living room with your 80’s hairdo and leg warmers. Try reminiscing about funny moments with a friend or family member. I love gathering with my siblings and laughing about the silly things we used to do as kids. I also enjoy sharing funny memories with my kids and husband around the dinner table. Be FREE!
- Jot it down – Grab a paper and pen and write down five to 10 of your funniest memories. When you need a reason to laugh, grab your funny notes and start belly laughing.
- Laugh at yourself – cut the cortisol release in your body from stress and replace it with happy hormones. Instead of beating yourself up about something, find a way to laugh about your situation. Find a funny picture that represents how you feel. Even if you have to force yourself laugh about it at first, keep practicing. Soon, you will be choosing JOY and laughter even in the most difficult times.
Young Living Essential Oil Spotlight
My choice for the theme of laughter this month is Young Living Lemon Essential Oil! Yes, that simple. For years, I have watched my clients sport a smile every time I hand them a bottle of lemon to inhale. Instasmile. Inhale, smile, ahhh. I LOVE it! Young Living Lemon essential oil (Citrus Limon) is known for its pure, crisp, fresh, bright, joyful clean scent. Inhaling YL Lemon essential oil makes you feel like you are walking through lemon groves gazing upon the vivid yellow fruits upon the trees, while inhaling the essence of fresh lemons that surround you. The best part is the aroma does not end at the beginning. The Young Living SEED to SEAL quality assurance cold-pressed process gives you an experience of the full aromatic experience from beginning to end with all the chemical constituents and therapeutic properties in tact, unadulterated, and pure.
Studies show that lemon essential oil contains properties that lift the mood, clear the mind, and support the immune system. Lemon essential oil also supports the skin and hair and can be used for non-toxic cleaning in your home. Please refer to safety guidelines before using any essential oils and consult your aromatherapist for specific questions. Lemon essential oil can naturally cause photosensitivity and should not be applied to exposed skin prior to sun exposure.
How Can I Help?
As a Certified Clinical Aromatherapist, I use laughter as part of my mindset, motivation, and stress management sessions to help my clients feel comfortable, to help build stronger relationships with my clients, and to help promote natural healing in the body. From veterans to stay at home moms, I work to help my clients find the joy in the trials they are facing. To schedule your session, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and write Freedom in Laughter in the subject line for a free 15-minute consultation.
Ready to start your Young Living Wellness Lifestyle experience? Contact me email@example.com at and write “I am ready” in the subject line to receive a special welcome gift with your Premium Starter Kit.
He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of JOY. Job 8:21
Blessings and JOY,
Wife, Mom, and Christian Certified Clinical Aromatherapist.
What will you do to incorporate the healing benefits of laughter into your daily life? FREEDOM in LAUGHTER. Free to be silly. Free to belly laugh. Free to be a kid again.
Essential Oil Desk Reference. Life Science Publishing.
Prioritize your health.
For daily support, join my JOYFull Oily Family on Facebook for wellness tips, videos, and natural wellness support.
JOYfull Inspirations is NOT a non-profit organization. Your donations are an opportunity to support our family, our mission, and our continued services to the others.
Like our FB page at https://www.facebook.com/JOYFullInspirations/ and share with friends.